From Earlham CS Department
These are the computer and network services that the CS department provides:
- Department home page is accessible here.
- User home pages are also available. Anything on quark placed in ~username/www will appear at http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~username/.
- FTP services run only on ftp.cs.earlham.edu. This will give you access to your user data on the main file server, quark.
- By its nature, FTP is unencrypted, and insecure. It is recommended you use SFTP or SCP whenever possible.
- SSH services run on all machines. This provides encrypted shell access to any machine, along with other encrypted services.
- For information on how to login to machines remotely, see this page.
- Our mail transport server runs at smtp.cs.earlham.edu. Using a shell on any of the ACLs, you can use Pine to send email through it.
- You can also use a mail reader such as Thunderbird or Microsoft Outlook and use smtp.cs.earlham.edu as your mail server. Make sure you use the mail submission port (587) rather than the mail transport port (25). It is also highly recommended that you enable TLS (encrypted) communications.
- Our IMAP and POP services run on imap.cs.earlham.edu and pop.cs.earlham.edu, respectively. Running Pine on the ACLs will connect you to your mail boxes using IMAP.
- When using any mail reader, it is highly recommended that you use our secure IMAP or POP3 services, which run on ports 993 and 995, respectively.
- We operate open-source Postgres and MySQL RDBMSs on quark. If you require a database, contact the systems administrators.
- We also have a licenses for Oracle 8 and 9 for Sun Solaris. This database is non-operational, but could be brought on-line if needed. Contact the systems administrators for more information.