Installing Debian on Athena
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Download the rescue floppies from ftp.us.debian.org.
- Download the first Debian CD image.
- Write boot.img and cd-drivers.img to floppy.
- Write the first Debian CD image to CD.
- Boot of boot.img, and load cd-drivers.img when prompted. Have the first CD image in the CD drive so that it can start booting off that when it's ready.
- Select whatever language you want. English would probably be appreciated.
- Select a QWERTY keyboard.
- Partition the hard drive. Give 64MB for swap (set to type 82) and the rest to / (set to type 83).
- Let the installer initialize both filesystems. It's your call as to whether to check for bad blocks (it's slow).
- Don't configure any device drivers.
- Install the kernel and all the packages you want off CD.
- Make the system bootable, with the MBR on /dev/hda.