Managing Data Files
This section covers how to download the data from the GPS unit, convert it to the necessary file type, and ultimately integrate it into GRASS.
Downloading Data Files
- Connect Scout Unit to computer using Serial to USB and USB cables
- Open the Protrak SCOUT software
- Select appropriate unit
- Select Download History Log
- Follow the on-screen instructions
- Once the download is complete, repeat the process for all units
- The data will be stored as GPS files in the following directory:
- C:\Program Files\PROTRAK\Data
- From here, the data can be copied to a separate folder for backup purposes
Converting Data Files
- Open a web browser to the following page:
- Select the Convert to Plain Text option
- Select Choose File and browse the directory to find your desired file
- Under Plain Text Delimiter, select pipe (|)
- Under Plain Text Output Units, select U.S.
- In the Time offset: field, type -4
- Select the Convert button near the top
You should be redirected to a page with a text box that has the data in text format. Near the top of the page you will see a link with a string of numbers ending in .txt
- Right-click on the link and select Save Linked File As...
- Choose a descriptive name for your data and change the ending to .csv, essentially saving it as a CSV file