Android Development Environment Setup
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Download Eclipse Classical and Install It - http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/
- Download the Android SDK - http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
(Unarchive it and put it somewhere you remember)
- Download Java (If you are not up to date) - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
- Add ADT Plugin to Eclipse - http://developer.android.com/sdk/eclipse-adt.html#installing
- Start Eclipse, then select Help > Install New Software....
- Click Add, in the top-right corner.
- In the Add Repository dialog that appears, enter "ADT Plugin" for the Name and the following URL for the Location: - https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/
- Click OK
Note: If you have trouble acquiring the plugin, try using "http" in the Location URL, instead of "https" (https is preferred for security reasons).
- In the Available Software dialog, select the checkbox next to Developer Tools and click Next.
- In the next window, you'll see a list of the tools to be downloaded. Click Next.
- Read and accept the license agreements, then click Finish.
Note: If you get a security warning saying that the authenticity or validity of the software can't be established, click OK.
- When the installation completes, restart Eclipse.
- Once Eclipse Restarts, you should get a popup window that welcomes you to the Android SDK. You will have two options "Install New" or "Existing".
- Click the second option and point the url to the location of the folder you download from Step 2.
- You will then proceed to install all the relevant API's. I suggest installing the tools and ALL the platforms (+4 GB) to complete the project.
- Restart Eclipse and the world of Android Development is yours.
Setup the Emulator (Android Virtual Device)
- In Eclipse, select Window > Android SDK and AVD Manager.
- Select Virtual Devices in the left panel.
- Click New....
- The Create New AVD dialog appears.
Type the name of the AVD, such as "my_avd".
- Choose a target.
The target is the platform you want to run on the emulator. Use Google API 2.2 rev 8
- Click Create AVD.