Jump to navigation Jump to search
Science Friday Minutes - 2005-09-23
Present: JohnI, LoriW, PeterB, MarkS, CharlieP
Summer Research People
- JohnI - 6 weeks for JohnI, 6 weeks for two students
- LeslieB - 4 weeks for LeslieB, 4 weeks for 2-3 students
- BrentS - nothing
- BillH - nothing
- PeterB - only if NIH is funded, in which case he will have funds, 3 students
- CharlieP - hopefully on sabbatical
- JimR - unknown
- MarkS - 4 weeks for MarkS, 4 weeks for 2 students
- LoriW - F/K during May Term, 0 weeks for LoriW, 4 weeks for 2 students (Dreyfus grant)
- MikeD - 8 weeks for 2 students
- CorinneD - 4 weeks for CorinneD, 4 weeks for two students
- We need to track Ford/Knight support (students and faculty) as well.
- Start-up funds for new hire in Biology (anatomy/physiology)
- Start-up funds for new hire in Chemistry (organic/biochemist)
- Need to know about these by November 1st or so
- Talk to departments at Science Division lunch to identify equipment needs
Facilities - Questions for Science Division
- 1) What does interdisciplinary mean to the sciences at Earlham? What spaces can we share? Think outside the box, 10-15 years from now.
- 2) Environmental Science, what does it mean to us and how should it manifest itself in new facilities?
- 3) Retired and emeriti office space. Maybe carrels in the science library? Larry Strong model, part-time retired model, other models? Sabbatical replacement office space.
- 4) Collection space (mostly a Geosciences and Biology question)
- 5) Adjacency
- 6) Computer labs, centralized and de-centralized.
- 7) What should the library do for the science division?
- 8) What's wrong with our current large lecture spaces? What's right with them?
- 9) Planetarium. How many institutions like Earlham offer astronomy? A planetarium? If it existed could it be used as a large lecture space for other sciences?
- 10) What major scientific equipment is coming down the road?
- 11) Wood and metal shops.
- More of the same.